Friday, September 24, 2004

Undying

Jared gave me this crazy game called Undying. This is the absolute scariest game I have ever played. I'm this close from saying its scarier than Doom3.
At the very beginning of the game you walk down this hallway in this big-ass spooky mansion, and as you turn the corner, you see what looks like a bloody guy standing at the far end waving knives all around. Being a trained veteran of the first-person-shooter, I instantly trained my gun on him and waited for him to give me a reason to fire. I started walking towards him slowly, if he was going to run away I wasn't going to waste bullets shooting at the wall. As I was slowly walking towards him, still far enough away so that I couldn't see him very well, the lights flickered and dimmed. I looked towards the ceiling on reflex, trying to see what was happening to the lights, as soon as I looked back he was right in my damn face. I was like AHHH!!! The lights came back on and he was gone. Damn, that little encounter in the first five minutes of the game was enough for me to practically cement it as one of the games that will take up the majority of my time this weekend.
what's bad about it is that the entire damn mansion looks like an unsafe place to be. You know how you can be playing a scary game, and there will be places that you sort of feel safe in? Perhaps an infirmary full of medical supplies? Or the main hall where the lights are strong? Undying is totally devoid of such places. You're in a bad situation no matter where you are. For instance, I was walking around in this bedroom, looking for a key to the East Wing of the mansion, when I hear some glass shatter. I think; "Oh, here it comes. Time for the generic bust-through-the-window attack." I back up from the windows and aim at them, waiting for the inevitable break-and-enter. Hell no. This game will have no such crap. A goddamn monster reached through the wall and pulled me back into the hallway. Right through the damn wall. I was like AHHH!!! I'm telling you, this game is going to make me piss myself before I reach the end, and I'm only playing on "Easy" mode.
I would hate to see what it'll throw at you in "Nightmare" mode....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, i must play this game, would my gimp, i mean comp run it?
-"horace"

September 25, 2004 7:26 PM  
Blogger panguan said...

Probably. If you can play Jedi Academy you can probably play Undying. Have you ever tried to play Unreal Tournament? If you can play Unreal Tournament, you can play Undying. (They both use the same game engine.)

In any case, I'll burn you a copy of it and you can try for yourself.

September 26, 2004 1:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home