Friday, August 20, 2004

Out the door, down the hall, and on the elevator.

[Current Music = Nintendude - Take Flight]
[Current Mood = Peppy]

I promised I would give you a better explanation of why I've kicked my LiveJournal and setup shop at Blogger, so now I will.

I was sitting in my room, getting all settled in to post the million-billion Journal entries I had saved up, just waiting for the LiveJournal main page to load. It hadn't showed up the last few times I had tried to post, so I was rather happy when it did. I logged in, went to my update journal page, and then copied and pasted my journal entry into the space provided. I clicked "Update Journal" and waited, after a few seconds the usual "Success" page came up and I clicked the link to view my handiwork. My journal came up okay, but the latest entry was all messed up. It was mostly gibberish, and some of it looked a bit like bad HTML code. I figured it was just the fact that I copied and pasted Rich text into a standard form, and even if it wasn't that, minor HTML problems are not uncommon. I try again, this time typing a small entry just to see if it would work. No dice. The same thing happened, just different gibberish. I figured I had found myself a bug, a glitch in the Matrix, if you will. I didn't have anything very important to do at the time, so I figure I’d write up a good bug-report for the LiveJournal crew to look over, so they could take action as they saw fit. I was actually more interested in helping them fix their bug than I was in seeing my Journal working correctly.

Those bastards that run LiveJournal are the biggest bunch of elitist assholes I've ever come across.

I found their support e-mail address and sent in my sizeable bug report. I sent it from my Gmail account; just in case you aren't familiar, Gmail constantly checks itself, if you receive mail while you’re on Gmail you know about it instantly. It took all of five seconds for my email to bounce, yielding a message much like the following. "We're sorry, but we must reserve our e-mail support for our paying customers." I was rejected not because I didn't have anything relevant to say, but because I didn't give them my money; what’s more is that I wasn't even rejected by a human being. A computer received my email, saw that it wasn't on the list of paying customers, and sent me a rejection notice. How grand a scheme is that? They must invest millions in PR. That isn't what really did me in, though, oh no, not by a long shot. I picked up and moved on; again, I was more interested in seeing the bug fixed than getting help with my Journal. I seek out the journal the LJ people use to explain bugs and problems, "lj_something-or-other" and find the email address of one of the founding members. I had this crazy thought that he might just care about a bug that stopped me (and maybe other people) from posting to our journals. I send him the same bug report I sent the support people. He replied by sending an ALL CAPS email that consisted of "DONT BOTHER ME AT MY PERSONAL EMAIL! DO IT AGAIN AND I'LL CLOSE YOUR ACCOUNT AND BAN YOU FROM THE SITE." Keep in mind that this is the same email he voluntarily made public. That was all it took. I can see how he wouldn't like me pestering him at his personal email, but the asshole didn't have to reply like that.

Fuck him, alright. Fuck him, and fuck LiveJournal.

Okay. Now that I've said it, let me tell you how my Journal is going to work from now on. Whenever I post something in my Blogger.com blog, (think journal) an entry containing a link will show up on my old LiveJournal that points to it. You guys can still leave me comments on the LiveJournal site, just comment on the link that points to the blog entry you want to comment on. I also plan to check up on all of your journals just as often as I always have, so don't think that panguan is leaving; he's still right here. The only real change is that now you'll be clicking on links to go see entries on my blog.

Oh, and just for your information, Blogger.com's "Dashboard" beats the ever-living hell out of LiveJournal's "Update Journal" page. Damn this is snazzy and cool. What’s more is that I can do all of the things LiveJournal charges money for without paying a dime. Want to make a new template from the ground up? Go for it. Want to change the name of anything? Have at it. Want to add extra sections to your page? Picture gallery? Music files? Blogger is game for almost anything. The only real downside is that blogger doesn't have a "friends" page. This doesn't matter to me, as I've always checked on all of your Journals with favorites I have saved.

I'm going to have so much fun writing things from now it actually is funny.

If you’re the type that just scans and jumps to the bottom, I'll sum up:

1] Panguan emails LiveJournal
2] LiveJournal tells Panguan to go kill himself.
3] Panguan emails one of LiveJournal's founders.
4] LiveJournal's founders personally tell Panguan to go kill himself.
5] Panguan says "Fuck LiveJournal".
6] Panguan is sad.
7] Panguan goes to Blogger.com
8] Panguan is happy, very happy.
9] Panguan begins to dance.

You get the picture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home